the tough fluff hat
FLUFFY IS THE NEW BLACK
With so many fluffy yarns on the market right now—in so many different weights—Tough Fluff was designed to be flexible and accommodating. Omit the cables, and you’ve got a virtually limitless template for making all your fluffy dreams come true. Fluffy yarns—dark, bright, variegated and speckled—will all shine on a 2 x 2 ribbed canvas. Even tough guys will appreciate a decadent ribbed beanie. When the going gets tough, the tough knit fluff. So, go! Get your fluff on!
Note: Cable instructions are provided in chart format; you must be able to read charts to execute the cable pattern(s).
THE KNITTY GRITTY
Small (Medium, Large): To fit approx. 21 (22, 23)” / 54 (56, 58) cm head circumference.
Yarn A: Blue Sky Fibers Brushed Suri (67% Suri Alpaca, 22% Merino Wool, 11% Rayon; 142 yards / 130 meters / 50 grams). S (M, L): 1 (1, 2) skeins in desired colour.
Yarn B: Rowan Alpaca Classic (57% Alpaca, 43% Cotton; 131 yards / 120 meters / 25 grams). S (M, L): 1 (1, 2) skeins in desired colour.
OR a total of approx. 220 (260, 300) yards / 200 (240, 280) meters of a comparable yarn pairing—see below.
Yarn Substitution / Gauge: Despite its “technical correctness”, most knitters don’t swatch in-the-round for hat projects. With that in mind—and because Tough Fluff is based on stretchy 2 x 2 ribbing--I’ve stated the pattern gauge in Stockinette Stitch, worked flat. Please take time to swatch.
At the stated gauge almost any fluffy yarn combo will do.
• 1 strand of fingering/sock yarn + 2 strands of lace-weight Suri (alpaca)
• 1 strand of fingering/sock yarn + 2 strands of lace-weight mohair/silk
• 1 strand of light fingering yarn + 1 strand of fluffy worsted-weight yarn
• 1 strand of fluffy, blown, lofty, and/or chainette aran-weight yarn held single
NEEDLES (adjust if necessary to obtain correct gauge)
One 16” (40 cm) circular needle size US 7 (4.5 mm).
Five double-pointed needles (DPNs) size US 7 (4.5 mm).
16 stitches / 24 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Stockinette Stitch, worked flat.
Cables: The original Tough Fluff features a trio of delicate cables, which can be worked on just the front, or both the front and back (instructions for both are included). Because the cables are fluffy and delicate they tend to show up best on light-colour yarns, and disappear on dark, highly saturated, or multi-colour yarns.
No Cables: Omit the cables and, bam! You have a virtually limitless 2 x 2 fluffy ribbed hat template, perfect for showcasing any colour your heart desires—why not work a few extra inches of ribbing to create a fold-up brim? So cozy!
THe FINE PRINT
- This product is a digital .pdf download. Once you purchase this pattern, you will have 24 hours to download it to your computer, phone or tablet. After 24 hours, it will no longer be available and you will have to re-purchase it, so please be sure to download and save your pattern within 24 hours of purchase.
- Patterns are for individual use only and are protected by international copyright law. In purchasing this pattern you agree to print and use this pattern and all items made from it only for your personal non‐commercial use. You may not distribute or sell electronic or paper copies of this pattern or items made from it.