the IDK hat
I Don’t Know WHY the heck I’m so attracted to yarn but...alas...the stash grows on. The IDK Hat was designed to make use of a single skein of beautiful hand-dyed DK yarn, whether you're treating yourself to a new yarn baby at your LYS, or using up a cherished skein from your stash. The pattern is based on ribbing, so it will accommodate a wide range of adult head sizes. It can be worn slouchy, or with the brim folded back for a close, toasty fit. With detailed crown shaping, there is no need to add a pom pom—you know, except for the emotional need you might feel to add a fun ball of fluff!
THE KNITTY GRITTY
Width: 7.5” (19 cm) = approx. 15” (38 cm) circumference un-stretched, measured at widest part of body. Fits approx. 22-23” (56-58 cm) head circumference—average adult.
Length: 10.25” (26 cm) with brim unfolded / 7.5” (19 cm) with brim folded back once.
IDK was designed to showcase hand-dyed Merino wool. It can be knit from a single skein of almost any hand-dyed DK-weight yarn, most of which have approx. 220 yards / 200 meters per skein. Sample IDK hats used:
- The True North Creative DK: 215 yards / 197 meters / 100 grams (100% Merino Wool) in Toasted Marshmallow.
- Primrose Yarn Co. Vintage DK Tweed: 225 yards / 206 meters / 100 grams (85% Merino Wool + 15% Cotton) in Vinyl & Sweet Dreams.
- Madelinetosh Tosh DK: 225 yards / 206 meters / 100 grams (100% SW Merino Wool) in Paper & Composition Book Grey.
NEEDLES (adjust if necessary to obtain correct gauge)
For most brands of DK, the standard 4.0mm (US 6) needle will be ideal, but some are a bit lighter than others and may require a 3.75mm (US 5) needle. Make sure to swatch and obtain the correct gauge if you are uncertain.
- One 16” (40 cm) circular needle size US 6 (4.0 mm).
- Four double-pointed needles size US 6 (4.0 mm).
30 stitches & 29 rounds = 4” (10 cm) in 1 x 1 Ribbing (un-stretched).
28 stitches & 32 rounds = 4” (10 cm) in Textured Rib Pattern (un-stretched).
THE FINE PRINT
- This product is a digital .pdf download. Once you purchase this pattern, you will have 24 hours to download it to your computer, phone or tablet. After 24 hours, it will no longer be available and you will have to re-purchase it, so please be sure to download and save your pattern within 24 hours of purchase.
- Patterns are for individual use only and are protected by international copyright law. In purchasing this pattern you agree to print and use this pattern and all items made from it only for your personal non‐commercial use. You may not distribute or sell electronic or paper copies of this pattern or items made from it.